Competition & antitrust; intellectual property; litigation; technology, media and telecommunications
Vaishali Mittal is a partner in litigation and a strategist at Anand and Anand, with experience of almost 19 years in litigation, prosecution, drafting and advisory work to various Fortune 500 companies and other leading organisations worldwide.
Recognised as the leading light of Indian SEP jurisprudence, Vaishali has appeared in some of the most ground-breaking IP matters including India’s first anti-anti-suit injunction (InterDigital vs Xiaomi), India’s first final judgment on the standard essential patents interpretation of section 8 of the Patents Act to the benefit of patent-holders; first compulsory licensing order for radio broadcasters under the Copyright Act; India’s first judgment declaring colour-combination (green and yellow) a well-known trademark; a landmark judgment on trans-border reputation, a landmark judgment on aggravated damages being the highest ever quantum in a copyright, trademark and design infringement case, to name a few.
Known for her creative instincts, Vaishali conceptualised and created:
- IPONOMICS, a picturesque coffee table book co-authored by her compiling legendary IP matters
- Origami – an in-house knowledge manual on best practices and procedures of IP in India for law firms and companies
- IP Thinker a digital newspaper to celebrate World IP Day 2020
- She also continues to author various chapters and articles in renowned publications such as GTDT, Asia IP, MIP etc.
- Among the Top 10 Women in IP – ASSOCHAM IP Excellence Awards 2021
- WIPR Diversity 2021 honouring influential women in IP
- Among Top Individual Lawyers for IP and Pharma & Life Sciences in the Forbes Legal Powerlist 2020
- Leading Individual 2020-21 – Legal 500 Asia-Pacific Rankings
- World’s Leading Strategists – IAM 300 Global Leaders
- World’s Leading Patent Professionals IAM 1000 & IAM 300 (2019-2021)
- Best Trademark Lawyer 2020 – Euromoney’s Women in Business Law
- IP Expert 2020 – AsiaIP
- Women in Business Law 2020 – Expert Guides
- Super 50 Lawyers in India 2020 – Asian Legal Business
- Top 15 Dispute Lawyers in India 2019 & 2020 – Asian Legal Business
- Recognised by Legal 500 as a leading name in patented technology litigation, specifically regarding standard essential patents in the telecoms sector.
Professional associations and memberships
- Member of AIPPI
- Member of APAA
- Member of INTA
- Member of the Standing Committee on ADR at AIPPI till December 2021
- Member of the INTA Famous and Well-known Marks Committee (2020-21)