E-commerce, fintech, blockchain & cryptos; intellectual property; litigation; technology, media and telecommunications
Pravin Anand is the managing partner and head of litigation at Anand and Anand.
Honoured with the AIPPI Award of Merit, the INTA President’s Award and recognised as the “Most Innovative Lawyer” for the Asia-Pacific Region by the Financial Times, Pravin has appeared in over 2,500 cases in over 42 years of practicing as an IP lawyer.
Some recent landmark decisions in his career:
- Patent lawsuits that transformed the pharmaceutical and biotechnology enforcement regime in India including Merck v Glenmark; Roche v Cipla; the Monsanto case; and a large number of other suits on behalf of Pfizer, BMS, AstraZeneca, etc.
- India’s first Anti-anti-suit injunction order (InterDigital v Xiaomi); Software Patent lawsuit conferring protection (the Ferid Allani case); development of a damages culture in a large number of cases that recognised not only punitive, but compensatory, exemplary and aggravated damages (Philips v AmazeStore); India’s first post-trial SEP judgment (Philips v Bhagirathi); development of unique remedies such as the “Tree Planting Order” (the Merck case); and an order benefiting adolescent girls (the Hermes case).
He was author of Halsbury’s Laws of India on Intellectual Property and a large number of chapters in international IP publications. Outside court, Pravin engages with the larger community to spread the message of IP through:
- The Raj Anand Moot Court Competition since 1997;
- Anaryst – an IP Board Game;
- Brainchild – First IP-themed play;
- Adventures of Mr IP – an IP comic; and
- IPONOMICS – a coffee table book.
- Ex-Member of the INTA Board of Directors
- Past President of the Indian Groups of AIPPI, APAA and FICPI
- Member of the INTA Enforcement Committee
- INTA President’s Award 2021
- Managing Partner of the Year – Asian Legal Business India Law Awards 2021
- Patent Lawyer of the Year – Legal Era India Legal Awards 2021
- Leading IP lawyers of the Decade – Legal Era India law Awards 2020
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Star – Patent 2017-21
- Chambers and Partners Highly Recommended lawyer in IP – 2017-21
- Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Star 2021
- World’s Leading Practitioners – IAM Patent 1000 (2016-21)
- World’s Leading IP Strategists – IAM Strategy 300 (2016-21)
- Inducted in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame
- AsiaIP IP Expert