Holding mining interests in Australia

    By Michael Sheng and Peter Hwang, Blake Dawson

    In Australia, the federal and state governments and their agencies rarely participate directly in mining ventures. Private companies conduct exploration and production operations. Entities gain the right to undertake exploration and production activities through licences granted by the relevant authority under statutory licensing regimes.

    盛冕 Michael Sheng
    Michael Sheng
    Blake Dawson

    Foreign entities most commonly hold interests in mining licences in Australia by way of a company structure or investment in a (JV).

    Different arrangements may be required for ventures formed for various mining related activities (e.g. exploration, production and the operation of a facility). The form of arrangement selected will depend on the respective expertise of the parties, the parties’ appetite for risk and consideration of the matters discussed below.

    You must be a subscribersubscribersubscribersubscriber to read this content, please subscribesubscribesubscribesubscribe today.

    For group subscribers, please click here to access.
    Interested in group subscription? Please contact us.



    Michael Sheng is a partner in the Shanghai office and Peter Hwang is a senior associate in the Brisbane office of Blake Dawson

    Blake DawsonBlake Dawson Shanghai office

    Suites 3408-10, CITIC Square

    1168 Nanjing Road West, Shanghai

    Postal code: 200041

    Tel: 86 21 5100 1796

    Fax: 86 21 5292 5161