M&A; joint ventures; corporate & commercial; private equity & finance
Ralph Voltmer is chair of Covington’s India practice and a partner in the firm’s corporate group. Ralph has been active in India for over 20 years working with companies such as Reliance Industries, Reliance Jio Infocomm, Piramal Enterprises, UPL, Mindtree, SpiceJet, the Tata Group, OmniActive Health Technologies, Sterlite Technologies, Balkrishna Industries and Jindal Steel. He advises clients on cross-border and US domestic transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and debt financings. Ralph is actively involved in the entrepreneur community in Bengaluru where Covington hosts quarterly workshops for entrepreneurs. He is a member of the board of directors of the US-India Business Council. His recent significant work includes:
- Supported a venture capital arm of Reliance Industries, Reliance Strategic Business Ventures, in leading a US$26 million series B investment (with an additional US$60 million committed) in skyTran, Inc, which is developing a futuristic personal rapid transit system using its patented MagLev technology.
- Represented Piramal Enterprises in the US$490 million sale of a 20% interest in Piramal Pharma to CA Clover Intermediate II Investments, an affiliated entity of CAP V Mauritius, an investment fund managed and advised by affiliated entities of The Carlyle Group Inc; and the US$950 million sale of Decision Resources Group to Clarivate Analytics.
- Represented Reliance Jio Infocomm in connection with a unique, long-term strategic relationship with Microsoft aimed at accelerating the digital transformation of the Indian economy and society through the development of data centres in India by Jio from which it will offer next-generation cloud-based solutions, including compute, storage and productivity, using Microsoft’s Azure platform.
- Advising Reliance Retail in connection with its ongoing investments in each of Kai OS and NetraDyne, Inc.
- Representing Individual Learning in connection with its acquisition of Vida Systems, Inc.
Ralph received his law degree from Georgetown University. He has a Master’s degree from the University of California, Riverside and obtained his undergraduate degree from Wheaton College.