The A-List: Thailand Top 100 Lawyers 2022
Tel: +66 86 304 4707
Cross-border insolvency; restructuring; M&A; commercial; fintech & blockchain
Jason Corbett is the founder and managing partner of Silk Legal, a Bangkok-based law firm that advises both foreign and domestic clients on matters pertaining to blockchain, fintech, decentralised finance, and corporate matters. With five years of experience in blockchain regulations, Jason has provided legal counsel to some of blockchain’s leading players that have disrupted several industries, ranging from fintech, e-commerce, gaming, and banking. He has likewise worked with prominent launchpads, protocols, exchanges, virtual asset service providers (VASPs), decentralised applications (dApps), and digital wealth management platforms.
Jason is also the founder and managing partner of Silk Advisory Asia, a licensed planner and administrator based in Bangkok that advises insolvent clients on matters pertaining to restructuring, insolvency, and distressed M&A. Throughout his career, Jason has been involved in several cross-border insolvency cases and has advised numerous creditors, both big and small, in various sectors and jurisdictions. He also provides counsel on corporate matters and has a keen interest in third-party litigation funding. He is likewise a member of the International Insolvency Institute and has been involved in several international cases.
Moreover, Jason is an entrepreneur that has been involved in several startups and small and medium-sized enterprises participating in banking, finance, e-commerce, blockchain, cryptocurrency, and technology. This entrepreneurial spirit, along with his robust understanding of corporate law, blockchain, as well as insolvency and restructuring, has inspired him to expand his practice to the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
Here, he hopes to establish Silk MENA Management Consultancy, a management consulting and advisory firm that focuses on the technology, blockchain, and restructuring spaces.
- Doctor of juridical science, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia. Awarded in 2011.
- Master of laws – international business law, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia. Awarded in 2006.
- Bachelor of laws – corporate and commercial law, Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia. Awarded in 2005.
- Post graduate diploma in legal practice, Bond University, Gold Coast, Australia. Awarded in 2005.
- Post graduate certificate, Asia-American Institute in Transnational Law, Duke University, held at University of Hong Kong. Awarded in 2010.
- Post graduate certificate, Chinese commercial law and practice, Shanghai University, Shanghai, China. Awarded in 2010.
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia. Admitted in 2005.
- Associate member of the Law Society of New South Wales, Australia. Member since 2006
- Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. Member since 2006
- National Committee on Accreditation, Federation of Law Societies of Canada. Accredited in 2011
- Member of the American Association of Justice. Member since 2012.
- NextGen member, International Insolvency Institute. Member from 2015 to 2020.
- Full member of the International Insolvency Institute. Member since 2020.
- Member of the Turnaround Management Association (TMA). Member since 2021.
- Member of INSOL International. Member since 2021.