Competition & antitrust; intellectual property; litigation; technology, media and telecommunications
Vaishali Mittal is a litigation partner and strategist. With more than 20 years’ experience, Vaishali has earned her place as a trusted name for complex SEP battles; her work at Anand and Anand also covers other complex patent cases and trademark disputes for major companies.
As a leading lawyer, Vaishali has enabled the firm to secure India’s first anti-anti-suit injunction in InterDigital Corp & Ors v Xiaomi Corp & Ors; the nation’s first final judgment on the issue of standard essential patents in Philips v KK Bansal; Philips v Rakesh Bansal; landmark judgment on the highest ever quantum of damages in a copyright, trademark and design infringement case in Philips v Amazestore & Ors; and first judgment recognising a colour combination (green and yellow) a well-known trademark in Deere & Co & Anr v Mr Malkit Singh & Ors.
She also led in the high stakes face-off between Nokia and Lenovo resulting in a multi-year, multi-technology patent cross-licensing agreement between the two tech giants, and settlement of all pending patent litigation worldwide.
Besides her regular practice before the Supreme Court of India and the High Court of Delhi, Vaishali writes for leading national and international publications including Managing IP, Kluwer Patent Blog, Asia IP, India Business Law Journal, Asia Business Law Journal, Chambers and Partners, Thomson Reuters, and Lexology. She co-authored IPONOMICS, a book compiling celebrated IP matters, and Origami, an in-house manual on best practices and procedures of IP practice in India, for law firms and companies.
Vaishali makes time for pro bono engagements – the latest being a petition that brought free medical aid to children with rare disorders.
• IAM Strategy 300 World’s Leading IP Strategist and Global Leaders 2022
• Leaders’ League Leading Individual for Patent and Trademark Litigation
• India Business Law Journal A-List 2021-22
• AsiaIP IP Expert
• Asia’s Top 15 Female 2022 Lawyers, Asian Legal Business
• IP Stars 2022 – Patent Star, Managing Intellectual Property
• World’s Leading Patent Professionals IAM 1000 2022
• Ranked in IP Litigation, Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific Guide 2022
• Leading Individual – Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Recognised as “leading name in patented technology litigation, specifically regarding SEPs in the telecoms sector.”
Vaishali is a member of the AIPPI, APAA, INTA and the Delhi Bar Association.