Intellectual property; litigation
Pravin Anand, the managing partner of Anand and Anand, has been a counsel in several landmark IP cases, including those involving the first Anton Piller order (HMV), the first Mareva injunction order (Philips), India’s first SEP litigation in a DVD player technology matter (Philips), pre-suit mediation litigation involving Nokia, the first Norwich Pharmacal order (Hollywood Cigarettes) moral rights of artists (Amarnath Sehgal), the first order under the Hague Convention (Astra Zeneca), and several significant cases for pharmaceutical clients such as Monsanto, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer and Roche.
He has received the National Innovation Foundation Award from the Indian government in recognition of pro bono work for rural innovators at the grassroots. His innovative and creative approach towards IP is reflected across the pioneering initiatives the firm has taken to develop unique IP concepts and products including an IP board game, India’s first IP themed play, Brainchild, an IP comic, Adventures of Mr IP, and others.
Pravin is co-author of Halsbury’s Laws of India on Intellectual Property and is the author of many prestigious India chapters pertaining to patents, copyright, media, telecommunications, trade secrets and other practice areas. He is a regular speaker at various prestigious forums, including WIPO, World Intellectual Property Forum, MIP – International Patent Forum, GIPC, AIPPI, INTA, and LES, to name a few.
The prominent awards and accolades accorded to Pravin recently include:
- The first Indian legal practitioner to receive the AIPPI Award of Merit;
- The most innovative lawyer – Asia Pacific (FT Innovative Lawyers Awards 2015);
- GIPC 2019 – presented with Award of Excellence for invaluable contribution in the field of innovation and IP;
- Recognized as WTR Global Leaders 2019;
- MIP – IP Stars – Patents and trademarks in 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- IAM Strategy 300 – World’s leading IP strategists 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- IAM Patents 1000 recommended Lawyer 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- WTR 1000 recommended lawyer in enforcement and litigation 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- Who’s Who Legal – Patents 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- Who’s Who Legal – Trademarks 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- Best of the Best – Patents Expert Guide 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- Highly recommended leading lawyer in intellectual property by Chambers and Partners 2016, 2017 and 2019;
- India Business Law Journal’s A-List 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.